Skip to main content

tools: psx

A couple more observations about the PSX
  • Powering up takes some time: I can change the channel fairly immediately, but it gives no UI response when trying to joystick over to the Video column (to view a DVD or recorded programming). It's annoying, because you can't tell when it will respond.
  • DVD-R: Backup DVD movies that play fine on my first-run US PS2 do not play on the PSX.
  • Powering down takes time: Currently this is only important because I don't want to move the unit while it's powering down, even though I want to get at the cabling beneath it.
  • Net access: G-Guide access times seem weird. The LAN telltale on my wireless/ethernet bridge stays dark until the unit is powered up, though the same bridge on my PC (yeah, I've only got the one) keeps all telltales lit, regardless of the PC's power status. No big deal, but I've not been able to see the telltale come on when it's supposedly updating the G-Guide information. In fact, I'd like to be able to tell it to force a guide-check on user request, because I'm completely baffled as to Samurai Champloo's current broadcast time. (Can anyone sport me a clue on this one?)
I do have the 5100 model with the improved firmware, so I suspect I'm enjoying it more than anyone who hasn't managed an upgrade. Oh, that's another one: I tried to check for updates, and it seems to find something it wants to install, gets 1/3 of the way through the lengthy progress bar, only to return an error and abort. Meh. No biggie, but I wish it was more clear what was happening.

Despite all of this, I still think \6δΈ‡ is a pretty decent price for what I've been getting. I'll probably be even happier if I pick up a broadband-supporting PS2 title like NFS:UG, Final Fantasy Fancy Pants, or SOCOM. I'd likely never have bought the BBA unit for a PS2 alone, so the use of it in the PSX is a freebie with which I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he