Skip to main content

Johnny Cash has died.

Johnny Cash died of diabetes-related complications on September 12, 2003.
I grew up listening to a lot of good country music. Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, ...it was already "old" when my parents played it for me. As the nature of country music turned ever more toward formulaic, predictable, and standardized formats, I discovered a whole different realm of music. I got into new wave music instead, later, "alternative" and techno-industrial. Still, I've always had a soft spot for the music of my childhood, which was actually the music of my parents' youth. Johnny Cash and Buddy Holly would have to be the two I heard the most.
Recently Johnny Cash's American Recordings series of albums came to my attention because of his cover of Nine-Inch-Nails' (Trent Reznor's) "Hurt." I think it's better than the original by leaps and bounds; an opinion that is reinforced by viewing the video. From recent personal experience, I can attest that it's unwise to watch these at work, unless your office has a generous "Open Weeping" policy.
[media links are RealAudio (.ra) and RealVideo (.smi) format]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he