Skip to main content

one-one-one - the blog is moving

NONTRIVIAL ADMINISTRIVIUM; the b l o g : it will be m o v i n g... to hosting at blogspot, as it affords better access to new Google tools. So find me here:
http://brianwanamaker.blogspot.com/
When i started my.bicycle, I wanted a simple tool to put text and links up on my private domain here. It seemed like a good safeguard against data loss: I'd have Blogger.com's copy on their servers, another copy on my personal domain's servers, and whenever I wanted to I could make a local copy as backup, or for editing, on any machine I currently used.

Good grief, times can change. Blogger was a single, somewhat dubious option in the blog tools field, and it was unclear what Google was going to do with their new toy. Just as when SixApart bought LiveJournal, there is a trepidation on the part of users that their efforts are going to be gobbled up by the whim of some corporate decision to "take their ball and go home."

At this point my desire to have local backup in addition to Google's resources feels like utter hubris or stubborn foolishness. Google could still turn evil or selfish, but if that happens it seems like the worst of my problems would not be loss of access to these writings.

Anymore, Google appears to want all their services to tie in together, but on their own servers in some kind of oort cloud of data. There are blogging tools built into Google Reader (my currently preferred RSS feed aggregator) for auto-posting cool stuff, and lord only knows what it'll be like when they get their recently purchased Jaiku toys working with their existing blogging and instant-messaging tools.

Yes, thanks - I'll have some of that.

Comments

  1. you drank the kool-aid....


    i STILL cannot scrub the innernets clean of the blogspot blog I originally created. it will follow me 'til the end of mine days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect all you have to do is (a) make sure you migrated the blog from your old Blogger account to a Google account, then (b) "delete this blog."

    The problem might be with having an old style Blogger account. Possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=63397&topic=12457

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he