Skip to main content

big in japan

As of 18:00 last night I'm back in Japan; as of 10:00 today I'm back in the office. As with every trip home, I'm struck by the differences between Japan and the USA. There are a number of things I want to write about, but I've not got time to go in depth, so I'll start with a list of things I didn't do in Los Angeles
  • Drink coffee at a Peet's Coffee
  • Eat breakfast or lunch at Kokomo in the Farmer's Market
  • Eat a Krispy Kreme Donut
  • Visit a comic store
  • Visit a new bookstore
  • Drink enough good, inexpensive, Californian wine
  • Visit a strip club
  • See several friends I still miss
  • Have a bad time in Los Angeles

The last is easily the most stunning revelation for me of anything else. Most LA-aware readers are probably prediciting it would have been the Krispy Kreme, but no. I actually enjoyed being in Los Angeles. Sure, it's not hard to accidentally fall into a Krispy Kreme store in Los Angeles; they've grown to be nearly as ubiquitous as Japan's Mr. Donuts (and are arguably better, dependent on your tolerance for refined sugar), but somehow I didn't get into one. O! Elusive MAPLE BAR! One day you will be mine. Yess you willll -- but enjoying LA? That's unheard of.

Maybe it was the odd way people were willing to smile and say "hello," or a willingness to think outside the proscribed societal norm (whatever that may be in SoCal). People were friendlier than I remember, traffic wasn't as horrid as I recall, and the water didn't even taste as bad as my memory insisted it used to be. It leaves me wondering how much of this is a change in LA, and how much in myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he