Skip to main content

state of the union

It is clear that G.W.B. wants to capitalize on the "maybe things are rocky, but you don't switch horses midstream" rhetoric that Michael Moore predicted in Dude, Where's My Country?
President Bush, wrapping the themes of his re-election campaign in an upbeat State of the Union address, said Tuesday night that America enjoys a growing economy but is still at war and must not "falter and leave our work unfinished."
After more than two years without a terrorist attack, he said it was tempting but wrong to think the danger had passed.
(...)
"Twenty-eight months have passed since Sept. 11, 2001 over two years without an attack on American soil and it is tempting to believe that the danger is behind us. That hope is understandable, comforting and false."
(via ABC)
This is less a midstream proposition, as the work that is unfinished is the War on Terror. From the same Moore book, the question is "How do we wage war on a noun?" For the curious, the actual state of the union address is available from Britain. (via Findory) Further insight is available here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he