Skip to main content

canada works to make the esrb ratings effective

Photo ID needed to rent/buy violent video games:
Ontario, along with Manitoba and Nova Scotia, have taken steps to making sure that people under 18 can’t rent or purchase violent games. Ontario even went so far recently as to slap the Rockstar game “Manhunt” with an “R” rating. A rating previously reserved exclusively for movies.
This entry prompted more commentary than usual. in particular the following user comment was of interest:
If you are going to say GTA:SA is bad, you have to include Halo 2, Half-Life 2, and even Doom 3 with it. In the multiplayer modes you are killing humans. It may be killing humans in a futuristic setting with futuristic weapons, but it is killing humans nonetheless.

I know in America, we have a real problem with the whole age of responsibility question. We have 14 year-olds being tried as adults for crimes, 16 year-olds who hold jobs and pay taxes, 18 year-olds who can be drafted, and none of them have all of their rights. I personally say that if the government decides a 20 year-old isn't responsible enough to have a beer, he or she shouldn't be fully responsible to vote, for crimes they commit, or to be sent away to fight for their country.

The privlidges of age are getting pushed farther into the future, but many of the drawbacks are creeping earlier into childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he