Skip to main content

calling librarians and web-heads

From the advance readings of Cory Doctorow's upcoming book, Little Brother, it promises to be an important and timely book

While I love reading Cory's work, I prefer to read it digitally on my PDA. But I'd like to get as many paper-versions (dead-tree, FTL) into the hands of impressionable young readers as possible. Ideally this would help Cory set up a service on the page to enable library donations. It seems like this would be easy enough to pull off, if there is a publicly available list of libraries, and then a connection to a web-enabled bookstore that would execute the order. As a book is ordered for a particular library, it could be removed from the list.

However, I don't know if such a list exists, and I've got no programming ability at all. So I have two questions:
  1. Is this the best way to execute this plan, or are there ways to improve it?
  2. Does anybody want to help with it?
Please respond in Comments, or mail me directly through the address in my blogger profile.

Comments

  1. Personally, I'll commit to donating my copy to the local library after I read it.

    It's the lazy man's activisism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My concern would be libraries being given donations when they were no longer taking them for reasons of space, or getting duplicate titles or getting old/beaten up titles that require special processing. Also keep in mind that libraries may choose to sell donated books to raise funds or discard them.

    What might work somewhat better is a two-part process.

    1) You search Worldcat.org to see if a library near you has the title (don't forget about interlibrary loan!).

    2) If not, then you can donate your book.

    http://www.albany.edu/~dlafonde/Global/bookdonation.htm lists varios book donation programs, as does http://www.ala.org/ala/alalibrary/libraryfactsheet/alalibraryfactsheet12.cfm. Alibris lets schools, libraries and nonprofits set up wishlists: http://www.alibris.com/wish/dab_about.cfm but just within the U.S..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Steven. I'll scope those out this week, and see if there's not some way to tie in a simple web interface. ...And then try to locate a web programmer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he