Skip to main content

hoopy sidebar addition

I'm abandoning Bloglines, an online Feed Aggregator where I followed my RSS/Subscription feeds. Though I prefer NetNewsWire Lite, there was no guarantee that I'd be following RSS feeds while in front of my Mac. Bloglines, being a web-based service, allowed me to check from any computer, but had trouble updating many feeds, couldn't find feeds, and stoped paying attention to some without further explanation. Even so, being able to have something that was mostly consistent across any computer I use is pretty great.

Now I'm using Google Reader, which is also web-based, works across all my computers, and is so far a simpler, more elegant UI to browse through. It also provides a widget for sidebar integration in my blog (Look! Over there!), allowing me to simply and easily propagate articles that are interesting into this blog's sidebar. There's no editing, publishing, or massaging of the data (and no easy way for me to add a Comment on it). On the other hand, it's all of one click in Google Reader. Doesn't get much easier than that.

AFAIK there's no way to get those to show up in the blog's RSS feed though. My Shared Items do have their own feed though! You can find it here: XML

Also, I've dropped my Pandora sidebar item, because it's not representative of what I'm listening to during the day, since it's currently being blocked for Japanese access. (*cries*)

Update: Subscription feed for my Google Reader Shared Links now added to sidebar.

Comments

  1. Unless yr already 100% settled on Google Reader, you might wanna also give Netvibes a look. It's a delight to use and super intuitive. Plus it's from France, no less, whatever that's worth to you -- but available in multiple languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have a look-see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he