Skip to main content

"let's enjoy refreshing time"

I want to try a manga-kissa next time I've got a day to myself in Osaka, especially if I can find a no-smoking one. Though unfailingly providing no-smoking environment, Starbucks in Japan are way too busy to be relaxing; the social pressure to get up and leave because there is a long line of people waiting is overwhelming. There is a three-story sutaa-baa in Shinsaibashi that has a line that regularly fills the stairwell leading to each of its three floors. I find it hard to relax over coffee and a book when there is a human fire hazard glowering at me.
(The subject is random Engrish from a beverage machine I saw when I first moved to Japan.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he ...

se7en of nin9

You could tell William Shatner that you hadn’t lived until you’d seen his one-man production of Se7en . He”d probably tell you to “get a life.” ( Chad Underkoffler )

Dollhouse Trailer

Edit: Already deleted from YouTube; sorry if you missed it. This was a trailer for Joss Whedon's new series, "Dollhouse," about operatives who can have their memories altered to become new people.