Skip to main content

game spot-on and off

Nevermind me, I'm just bookmarking two Gamespot articles: one where Kasavin was right-on and another where he makes a lot of wrong-headed assumptions then presents them as fact to an audience of consumers and that may not know better.

  • How to Shoot Yourself in the Foot (Sept 9 entry): Recently covered in Penny-Arcade as well, the whole sales and marketing fiasco coming this holiday season by having too many good games go on sale at once, all competing for the same money.
    Let me give you a very specific example of what I'm talking about. Take Tuesday, September 21 (which is just one moment in time during a season that will be filled with many other such moments in time). On this day, the following PC real-time strategy games will be released: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War; Rome: Total War; and Kohan II: Kings of War.
  • The Dating Game: Why games should only ever ship on time, and "when it's done" is no longer acceptable.
    As a game player, I demand to know, as early as possible, precisely when I can expect the games I'm excited about to ship. I want to be able to plan my schedule around those dates. Games like The Sims 2, San Andreas, and Halo 2 set the standard--I want to be able to plan for all release dates accordingly.
That is all. Move along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he