Skip to main content

anime

Steamboy, a steampunk anime with all the trappings of the lowest anime, retrofit with an inappropriately generous budget. Coming to the big screen. I think Last Exile is sexier by steam-powered leaps and æther-traversing bounds.

Go Nagai's Devilman, presumed inspiration for Rob Zombie's eponymous song, has a live-action+CG movie coming very soon (mentioned here Feb 27): To fight a demon, you must become a demon. A demon may possess a man's body and be in complete control of it. It takes a pure man to retain control of this hybrid form. Mankind's savior is a devil with a soul. His name is Devilman.

Masamune Shirow's 2nd movie this year, Appleseed will have an entirely CG-generated movie this year. I originally came to love Shirow's work through this series of dense, gorgeous, but nearly incomprehensible graphic novels. The first attempt to bring it to the screen through cell animation was quite poor. Initial previews of Appleseed looked not-so-good, but it appears to have improved in its rendering of Deunan (the "female lead"), and the mecha representation looks spot-on in CG. Hope is high. What's more, there will be music by Paul Oakenfold and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Kristen has noted that Apple's Japanese trailer page is worth visiting a couple times a month. I'm inclined to agree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he