Skip to main content

memories of cyan

Atari readying Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD edition: Hot on the heels of the dual successes of Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 2004: Special Edition, Atari has announced that it is releasing a DVD edition of the popular PC shooter. The primary advantage of the new version, which will be available starting tomorrow, is that it features the entire game on a single disc, versus the regular version's six CDs. It will also feature a second disc with extras, including several hours of video training modules that will show mod makers how to use the Unreal editor. The DVD edition will have the same retail price as the standard Unreal Tournament 2004--$39.99.
This announcement is reminiscent of when Myst first came out, and people bought CD-ROM drives for their machines just to play the game. True, anymore even bargain-basement PC's come with DVD drives, so this is the market catching up with available tech, rather than the market driving emergent tech, but it's nice to see it being taken advantage of for something other than fair-use disabled, region-limited movies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

send this to your crush without context.

dan simmons’ fiction

“I came back for my own purposes,” said the Time Traveler, looking around my booklined study. “I chose you to talk to because it was . . . convenient. And I don’t want you to do a goddamned thing. There’s nothing you can do. But relax . . . we’re not going to be talking about personal things. Such as, say, the year, day, and hour of your death. I don’t even know that sort of trivial information, although I could look it up quickly enough. You can release that white-knuckled grip you have on the edge of your desk.” I tried to relax. “What do you want to talk about?” I said. “The Century War,” said the Time Traveler. I blinked and tried to remember some history. “You mean the Hundred Year War? Fifteenth Century? Fourteenth? Sometime around there. Between . . . France and England? Henry V? Kenneth Branagh? Or was it . . .” “I mean the Century War with Islam,” interrupted the Time Traveler. “Your future. Everyone’s.” He was no longer smiling. Without asking, or offering to pour me any, he