After missing it in the Japanese theaters and on airplanes in-flight service and in hotel rooms’ pay-per-view, I finally saw Collateral last night via rental DVD. Due to a sense of high school nostalgia caused by Manhunter and Miami Vice (forgiving a misstep with The Keep ), I am willing to watch just about anything Michael Mann makes. Moreso that Heat , Collateral felt like a return to the stylings of Miami Vice’s action and drama, with natural, well-paced comedy to even out the emotional pacing. In a word, Collateral was good. With all the freak-out based press Tom Cruise has been given, and hearing what appears to be zealotry in his responses to a German interviewer who questioned the data as Cruise presented it, it is even easier to watch him in the role of a villain. It is probably preferable; he did a good job with the arrogant, untouchable Lestat in Interview with the Vampire , though that character was a bit more ham-fisted than the role of assassin, Vincent, pla...
Great. So, when are you guys moving back?
ReplyDeleteAh, that's not quite what I meant. The company is established, and we have people Stateside, but I am staying in Japan for the foreseeable future.
ReplyDeleteWant to move to Japan? The food's good.
I knew that. Just giving you crap.
ReplyDeleteHow's the McDonalds there?
:-)
ReplyDeleteAll of them have breakfast meals now, which you probably recall are my one major weakness for the place. I don't at all like their regular burgers and fries, but "asa-makku"(朝マック) is pretty much the same as the USA's, minus biscuits (english muffins only) and McGriddles (no loss). Oh, and I still only drink McDonald's Coke - what is up with that?
The daughter, on the other hand, is a fiend for McD's having been captured by the unneeded toys and the outdoor play areas. We have her on a once-a-month program to keep the addiction from going full blown.